The Historic Building
Stacks Image 132
Stacks Image 145
The Transformer Station, built in 1924, is one of sixteen substations built by Cleveland’s one-time private transit provider, the Cleveland Railway Company. The substation converted power for the Detroit Avenue Streetcar Line, which carried 19 million riders annually at its peak. The building was used as a transformer station until 1949, when the City of Cleveland offered it for auction. From the early 1980s until 2010, it housed an art foundry. The building is a brick structure with solid, classical proportions, enhanced with intricate brick detailing.
Stacks Image 164
The main hall has soaring, twenty-two foot ceilings and houses a massive horizontal crane, built by Cleveland’s Armington Crane Company, which is rated to lift fifteen tons.

The Bidwell Foundation has acquired adjacent lots to the north and south of the original building to provide parking and green space to the property.
Stacks Image 173
The masonry and ironwork of the original building has been completely restored and preserved.